The idea that revolutionized production fastening
When K.A. Swanstrom founded Penn Engineering & Manufacturing Corp. in 1942, he did so with a revolutionary new product: an easy-to-install, self-clinching fastener that provides load-carrying threads in metal sheets too thin to be tapped.
At first, Mr. Swanstrom produced his innovative design with four machines in a Doylestown, Pennsylvania garage. This simple operation soon gave way to a modern facility in Danboro, Pennsylvania as manufacturers and engineers alike recognized the benefits of self-clinching fasteners. They not only reduced time, labor, weight and inventory on many assembly jobs, but they also opened up a whole new world for engineers and designers, making a wide assortment of thin-metal designs possible for the first
Industry-wide acceptance led to earnest production of self-clinching fasteners shortly after World War II. As industry's need to hold together ultra-thin and ultra-light metals grew, so did the product line. Over the years the original self-clinching fastener design evolved to meet hundreds of new design applications. Today, nuts, studs, spacers, standoffs, access hardware, and other components are used worldwide by a variety of manufacturers, including producers of telecommunication, computer, medical, automotive, and aerospace equipment and systems.